Getting Sweeter Every Day!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Dear Easton...

A few weeks ago I was organizing the outside of our fridge.  Cal was pullling up on it and pulling down anything in his reach.  I decided to organize the mess of birth announcements, school pictures, engagement photos and random snapshots that smiled up at us in a haphazard patchwork.  I placed the pictures of Billy's grandma and cousin front and center so that they stared at me whenever I opened the fridge.  You see, his grandma is raising his 8 year old cousin now.  The poor kid lost both of his parents before he was even out of elementary school.  The pictures served as my daily reminder to keep them in my prayers.  On Monday night I moved another photo from the side of the fridge into the prayer spot.  It was the birth announcement for my friend Courtney's son Easton.  A few hours before I had gotten a call from my dad that 7 month old Easton was in the hospital, most likely with a tumor.  Prayers were definitely needed.

In the span of a few short days, Easton's mom discovered a hard spot, took him to the doctor, had some tests run and, this morning, Easton went into surgery.  His kidney and appendix were removed, along with a tumor weighing in at more than half a pound.  The prognosis is good, the tumor was encapsulated, and Easton is recovering.  I could not stop thinking about Easton and his family today, and I didn't want to bug them with calls or texts during this difficult time, but this is what I would have said:

Dear Easton,

We loved you before we even met you.  I was so happy when I found out that first your mom, and then your aunt, were pregnant when I was pregnant with Cal.  I was firmly Team Blue at your baby shower because I really wanted Cal to have a buddy.  I have fond memories of time spent with your mom and aunts when we were younger - swimming, skiing, making disgusting concoctions we forced each other to drink while our parents were out to dinner.  I imagined you and Cal (and Zain!) tearing it up on the lake when you were older, playing during family dinners and sharing new toys at Christmas breakfasts. 

You have no idea how lucky you are to be born into your family.  They are fighters, supporters, caregivers.  You have an army lining up to do battle with you.

Before your diagnosis, your mom was participating in Thankful November.  With all the stress of the past few days, she hasn't had a chance to share what she is thankful for, so I have a few things I am thankful for on her behalf.  I am thankful for a mother's intuition, so that your tumor was caught early.  I am thankful for a wonderful children's hospital nearby.  I am thankful for doctors that act quickly so that the worry and fear doesn't have a chance to fester and grow.  I am thankful for a successful surgery.  I am thankful that you have the best parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins to help you through this.

I can't wait for this to be a mere blip on the radar of your life.  I picture you on the lake in 15 years with your cousins and Cal, showing your battle scar off to girls and telling them you got it saving kittens from a fire.  Grow strong, little boy.

3 comments:

  1. Nicole and I are sitting on the couch both crying as we read this. What a beautiful blog. Can't wait to watch Cal, Zain and Easton grew up.. Cash and Briggs too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my my, as if I wasn't already a blubbering mess! You couldn't have said this better and you stole the words right off my list for my entry tomorrow. :) us girls are so fortunate to have such great memories and I know our kids will share many of their own together. We are so incredibly grateful for your family,s love and support for ours!

    ReplyDelete