Getting Sweeter Every Day!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Here we go again.

Last year, I sat in the kitchen on the eve of Valentine's Day wondering what the heck I was doing as I signed my 10 week old child's name to a pile of Valentine cards. This year, I decided to take the insanity a step further, by making marbled heart shaped crayons for each child based on a Pinterest idea.  I think I made about 8 dozen crayons between Cal's daycare class and the Stupid Cupid valentine exchange my mom's group did.  I actually enjoyed it, although peeling the paper off the crayons is something I could do without.  I think I still have wax under my nails. 

The process was super easy:  peel paper off crayons, break into pieces and place in the mold.  Heat it in the oven at 250 for 15 minutes, then cool in the freezer.  It took about 30 minutes for each batch, and I made them over several days.

Daycare valentines ready to go! (Mugs are for the teachers)

A close-up.
All said and done, the crayons for 16 kids at daycare plus the six I sent to friends across the country cost me less than $10.  I bought three 48 count crayon boxes at the dollar store and the mold was a silicone ice cube tray I bought at Ikea 6 six months ago for a few bucks.  Add in the baggies and paper toppers, and it was a fairly easy valentine that can actually be used.

Cal got some super cute Valentines in return.  Here are the ones from his class:

Daddy and Cal ate the goldfish and chocolate on the way home from school.
 These are the cards from his buddies in my mom's group.  He also got crayons, magnets and some really yummy candy.



Finally, a picture of my valentine:



No comments:

Post a Comment